This Single Dad Survived His First Love, and Heartbreak, After Divorce. You Can, Too!



Recently, I experienced my first official breakup since the divorce: I got dumped

I saw it coming ... and one of us would have pulled the trigger eventually. She was the first woman I've dated that I've really liked to this point. 

Aside from the divorce, it's been a long time since I've had this happen and I've come to realize how different romantic relationships are at this stage in my life. 

First, for me, is the importance of friendship. She and I are trying to keep our friendship alive, and I am more sad at the prospect that it may not work out than at the loss of a romantic partner. 

It's interesting how different my relationship goals are now compared to when I was a kid. Through the divorce, I kept hearing stories of people cutting loose and experiencing a period of wild sexual freedom. I'm not sure what it says about me but that's not something I want. While I'm not seeking to get married anytime soon, I do want meaningful relationships; friendship first, then intimacy. 

The next realization is that I definitely know what I want. I totally get that everyone I meet at this stage has lived and shaped their lives, so there is no delusion of perfection like when I was a kid. For me though, I'm seeking to be in a relationship with a woman where the "what I do want" side of my list outweighs the "what I don't want". 

Thanks to a lot of soul searching, I know that my "do" list includes some must-haves: 
  • speaks directly and is forthright, 
  • does what they say they'll do, 
  • is able to express needs and make decisions based on those, 
  • has 1 or more children, 
  • a career of any kind, and
  • is available

You might think that last one is obvious, but it's been a bit trickier for me than I expected; in part because, until recently, I haven't actually been emotionally available myself. Similarly, some of the women I have met have not been available for a variety of reasons. 

In this recent relationship, we both believed she was initially available but as we progressed and she reflected upon herself and us, she discovered otherwise. I suppose it's a good thing that this was discovered before we went much further, and that it is enabling her to address and heal underlying issues, but still, it hurts. 

And that last point is what I think is the most positive aspect for me; that I was not only open to being hurt again, but that I have made it through. It'll happen again; I'll open myself to love and maybe I'll even get hurt. But now I know I want this again and that I can DO this again!


7 comments:

  1. Informative and spot on. It IS very different after a divorce...especially when you marry young and as you get older and more mature your values really change as far as what you're looking for in a partner. Plenty of fish in the sea, but it indeed takes a while to find the fit for you as well as the other person...and PATIENCE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this inspiring story! Divorce doesn't mean the end! That's so true! We should always exercise kindness and understanding for each other, do you agree with me? In case any of your readers or friends are only starting their divorce process and are looking for any information as to the financial aspects of the divorce process, I advise them to click here to find out the average divorce cost in various US states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to use this opportunity to thank the great prophet for restoring back my home when i taught all hope was lost. My husband left for another woman and i met this great spell caster online and i explain my situation to him, after 2 days my husband came back to me and he is now as i want him to be. You can contact the Priest for any kind of spiritual work at arenaofsolutions@yahoo . com or whatsapp at +15754148400

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Name is Mark Schwartz.I will love to share my testimony to all the people in the forum cos i never thought i will have my girlfriend back and she means so much to me..The girl i want to get marry to left me 4 weeks to our wedding for another man..,When i called her she never picked my calls,She deleted me on her Facebook and she changed her Facebook status from married to Single...when i went to her to her place of work she told her boss she never want to see me..I lost my job as a result of this cos i cant get myself anymore,my life was upside down and everything did not go smooth with my life...I tried all i could do to have her back to all did not work out until i met a Man when i Travel to Africa to execute some business have been developing some years back..I told him my problem and all have passed through in getting her back and how i lost my job...he told me he gonna help me...i don't believe that in the first place.but he swore he will help me out and he told me the reason why my girlfriend left me and also told me some hidden secrets.i was amazed when i heard that from him..he said he will cast a spell for me and i will see the results in the next couple of days..then i travel back to US the following day and i called him when i got home and he said he's busy casting those spells and he has bought all the materials needed for the spells,he said am gonna see positive results in the next 2 days that is Thursday...My girlfriend called me at exactly 12:35pm on Thursday and apologies for all she had done thanks be to Great Matatan a powerful spell of (  matatanspell@yahoo.com .  )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored my ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. i was so happy to met Dr. Aire how he help many people to bring there Lover back so i contact him to help me too. that was how Dr. Aire help me to bring my husband back.. A big thank to you Dr. Aire because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. if you are here and you need your Ex Lover back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:
    Email him at: drairehome@gmail.com

    You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2347036740271

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was able to get my husband with the help of a spell doctor called dr Ajayi when i discovered he was charmed by another woman, i was very happy that i contacted the spell caster because he is the reason i was able to win my husband back and we are living in peace now. contact dr Ajayi for all your spell work he helped me to get back my husand i believe he will help you with what bothers you. Email : drajayi1990@gmail.com or whatsapp : +2347084887094.

    ReplyDelete